Sunday 1 September 2013

The Second Opinion: EagleMoss' USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D

In his first post for Some Kind of Star Trek our new contributor +Carl Thomson adds some more opinion to the new starships collection available in stores now. Time to get a chance to make a boyhood dream a reality perhaps?


Growing up with an ever growing interest and passion for sci-fi I found myself watching the adventures of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 with Captain James T Kirk and his crew, wishing as every fan does (I hope) to have been on Kirk's crew and that ship.  

When many other variations of the Star Trek franchise were launched I was as ever enthusiastic to further immerse myself in the saga - The Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise and found myself loving the ships. I was however, always disappointed that I never really found out there any good quality Starfleet ship models to collect. 

Nice background.... courtesy of CT
Until now! EagleMoss have just launched their Star Trek The Official Starships Collection. After seeing this advertised on television I held my breath until I could obtain that first edition. 

Now I will be a little honest here; I was not too bothered about the magazine I just wanted to complete a boyhood dream of building a collection of starships. The magazine in fairness is a good quality production filled with quality information about the ship in question, but it was the model of the Enterprise-D I sought.

I was pleased by the first experience of the model, it is quiet a weighty piece for its size and appeared to be a high quality production. I am impressed in general with the Enterprise-D and the attention to detail paid. The saucer section is well made, detailed though some discussion was had between Clive and myself on the shuttle bay doors. 

Anyone else pick up on this? Clive did right off the mark. In fact on page 10 of the magazine a picture clearly shows the doors differing in size (image right) yet on the model the doors are the same size! Moving to the secondary hull again this is of good detail showing the deflector dish and the same attention to detail as the saucer section. My only critic would be the nacelles, they could have been a little sturdier in my opinion. They do feel a little flimsy compared to the rest of this excellent scale model.

Overall I would give a 9 out of 10. The nacelles just let it down in my opinion. I am however, looking forward to building up my collection. I don't know if in these austere times I can afford every issue but I am on the look out for my favorite ships;  Voyager, Enterprise NX-01, and an Enterprise-E along with a Romulan Warbird and a Klingon Bird-of-Prey (looks like we might end up with the full collection between us! - Clive)

I'd be interested in the views of other fans out there and their opinions of the models and which ships they are looking out for.





No comments:

Post a Comment