Saturday 3 October 2015

30 Days of Trek - Day Three


Welcome to Day Three and a bit more of a challenging question. 

When I was looking at doing a 30 Day Challenge I reviewed ones that had been attempted before and realised they were all "Best" and "Greatest" but this just seemed a bit too nicey nice. So here's the first in a bit of variation!

Also a big thanks to a few people. I didn't know how this was going to turn out so to bobmat343, skrrll, sabreclass and art_mduley78 on Instagram, Warp Factor: Geek, Alexander and Marceline on Twitter and finally James Rye, Dan Foster, Nils Walter Khan and Matt Goddard directly on here for playing along - just 27 days to go and it's really appreciated that you're taking the time to answer. On another point if you're not following these guys, click their links and check them out. Twitter guys I have a question you're gonna love later that comes off the back of a rather extensive chat last night...

So to today's brainteaser. For clarity the definition of Visual Effect from Google is - In filmmaking, visual effects (abbreviated VFX) are the processes by which imagery is created and/or manipulated outside the context of a live action shot. The definition of Special Effect is an illusion created for films and television by props, camerawork, computer graphics, etc.


This gives us a lot of framework to play with and for me there are two really blatant examples which grate with me everytime I see them. The first is the horrid stop-motion puppetry of Sylvia and Korob from the end of Catspaw but I let that off since it was 1967 and these things were pretty basic. The second makes me want to chew my own fist and it's the Corvan Gilvos hand puppet from The Next Generation's New Ground. OK, you might say it's cute but once it's taken out of the case it's cringingly obvious Jonathan Frakes has his hand stuck up it's - and I'll stop there.

The Corvan Gilvos did show up again in The Nagus in Deep Space Nine and was still one of the worst creations ever. I suspect that you guys out there will have an equally memorable hand-in-mouth moment to share. Was it CGI? Puppet work? A bad live action/green screen mix? Now's your time to have a think...

Follow 30 Days of Trek and join in with the daily challenge across the SKoST social media platforms! I'll be back at 1pm TOMORROW with the fourth question right.

Live on YouTube
Like our page on Facebook 
Follow us on Twitter
+1 us on Google+
Add us on Tumblr
Add to to conversation on Star Trek: Risa

No comments:

Post a Comment